Tuesday, June 9, 2009

award ceremonies

In my family, whenever an award show is being broadcast, I always take the opportunity to cook up a storm. This way we can feast on goodies while we watch the celebrities, performances and presentations with rapt attention. Sunday, my favorite Awards show, the Tony Awards, was no different. (Several months ago, we had the opportunity to see 2008s Tony Award winners for Best Musical and Best Play.) I decided to keep the menu simple. An indispensable favorite is li'l smokies wrapped in Pillsbury crescent roll dough baked in the oven. Additional traditional favorites are bruschetta, summer sausage served with Carr's crackers, sliced tomatoes and muenster cheese and red seedless grapes. This time to minimize my kitchen time, I also made Corn Soup with Shrimp, Salmon Croquettes with Remoulade Sauce (essentially crab cakes with salmon instead of crab), Stuffed Artichokes a la Varenne (from the famous French cooking school of the same name), and chocolate mousse. (If I had the foresight of one of my friends, another blogger, I would have taken photos of the spread. Perhaps next time.) All this for two of us. It used to be for three of us, but since my daughter has moved to NYC, it is only two of us. And yes, we typically eat the leftovers for two or three days. Food. It is a glorious thing.