Saturday, December 12, 2009

brand names - a word from our sponsor

As an active participant in the culture of consumerism, I've come to favor certain brand names. Best Foods mayonnaise (Hellman's in the east), as an example, is simply non-negotiable. If you don't have Best Foods mayonnaise in stock, forget about it. Ocean Spray cranberry juice is another. Any other brand just tastes like red stuff. And nothing beats the iconic Hostess Twinkie for classic junk food. Cheap imitators need not apply.

I'm sure this sort of discernment is not always justified. I do let my standards, real or imagined, slide occasionally, especially in these difficult economic times. I'm not as discriminating when I buy that container of chicken stock for my Cooks Illustrated recipe (although I AM conscious of the sodium content, which is actually horrifying if you look at the label. Personal caution alert: anytime you buy anything that's been processed, check out the sodium content. I think it might help you live longer, but again, I digress . . . ). Heinz Ketchup is yet another, although years I ago I swear it started getting runnier. Still, Heinz reigns supreme as far as I'm concerned.

Brand loyalty is an interesting phenomena. When and where does one reach a tipping point when one is willing to deviate from the tried-and-true choices and venture into sampling something new? For me, a relative "clinger" to my favorites, it takes a lot. A massive ad campaign that bombards the airwaves each night of the week is a good starting point. Well-designed, snobbish label and packaging design is another. A premium price is another attractive element for me. (Fact: when my wife did an internship in NYC some years ago for Elizabeth Arden, she learned that if one of their new product lines did not sell, they simply increased the price, which almost unfailingly led to higher sales). Coupon incentives and celebrity endorsements have no impact upon me whatsoever.

As consumers, we do indeed vote with our money and I usually vote for the incumbent. Occasionally, I do try new things when I am swayed by the factors mentioned above. Still, I have found that those times I do stray, I inevitably end up disappointed. The allure of something new is momentarily distracting, but soon dissipates with the first sampling. Keep on trying though, you manufacturers. I'm ready to jump on the bandwagon of customer loyalty as soon as you develop that next Twinkie. Until that time, I'll stick with my favorites.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Well, I am the same way... I have tried side by side comparisons of brands and found that in some cases there truly is a large difference in quality, which to me, is worth paying the extra money. As for makeup, I don't wear any... my sensitive skin can't handle it. I tried wearing eyeshadow to church a few weeks back, and halfway through the meeting, I noticed my eyelids were itching really bad. I wiped the makeup off, but my eyelids still swelled practically shut. I looked like a prizefighter.