Tuesday, January 5, 2010

the boy scout motto

I just thought it might be interesting to share the contents of my BBP ("Bum Back Pack" – so named because when worn, it sits very, very low on your back, down to your you-know-what to distribute the weight more effectively). I’m sure it reflects a sort of crazed, misguided Boy Scout mentality, but contained within my bag are the following:

A digital voice recorder
A Swedish flint and spark tool
A signal mirror
A compass
A compact monocular/microscope combination
A digital point-and-shoot camera
A spare memory card for the camera
An SD card reader for the memory card for the digital camera
A miniature tripod
A waterproof/shockproof 8 Gig memory stick containing no useful data whatsoever
A personal journal
A notebook
A calligraphy pen
A regular pen
A slim LED pen light
An earbud/microphone combination for my iPod Touch
An emergency survival whistle
A lock-picking tool
A small Swiss Army Knife (the kind with the tweezers, toothpick, blade, scissors and nail file)

It bears mentioning that my cell phone and iPod are on my person at all times. I recognize this is an odd conglomeration of paraphernalia to carry with me, only a few of which have found any practical use during my normal business day (like the pen). However, one never knows what situation might arise to call forth any or a number of these items. I welcome, no actively solicit any suggestions for other items that might be handy to have at my disposal. One never knows . . .

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Do you, by chance, watch Man Vs. Wild??

sgseko said...

Well, yes, I have seen a few episodes. I suppose that's why I carry the Swedish fire starter. It drilled into me the importance of having a fire.