Wednesday, February 17, 2010

a lesson learned from chocolate

I have a friend who recently presented me with a small gift of Godiva Chocoiste (dark chocolate pearls with mint). Immediately after opening the impressive tin container, I popped one of the pearls into my mouth and in my characteristic way devoured the little sphere of delight in seconds. My friend, in keeping with her joie de vivre, instructed me that this was in fact, NOT the way to enjoy this treat. (I suspect "vulgar" may have crossed her mind as she watched me crunch happily on the piece of chocolate.) No, the little pearls of Chocoiste need to be SAVORED. They need to be nestled on one's tongue where they can languorously dissolve into a creamy, silky liquid that bathes the taste buds in a slow but steady stream of goodness (the endorphins bursting forth) that only chocolate can deliver.

Now, each time I reward myself with this treat, I try to dutifully observe this ritual of enjoyment. There is something to be said for savoring things and maximizing and prolonging the full sensual experience they afford. In general, life offers us a full array of experiences and events that should be savored. We all need to check ourselves and the pace of our lives and live more in the moment (which I realize is a tired and overused phrase, but hopefully you'll forgive me for want of a better one). Otherwise, too many wonderful occurrences will pass without being fully appreciated. We will miss the small pearls of joy that we encounter. Like those pearls of delicious dark chocolate from Godiva, we should try to let them last as long as possible.

No comments: