Tuesday, July 6, 2010

bio-identical hormone replacement therapy and MORE than you wanted to know . . .

Last Friday, Joni and I began a regiment of the controversial bio-identical hormone replacement therapy. For the uninitiated, this basically entails a daily dosage of hormones taken orally and topically to restore the level of hormones to an “optimal” level versus what is considered a “normal” level for a given age group. The theory behind HRT is that as we grow older, the production of certain hormones decreases to essentially “nothing.” In men and women the key hormones are thyroid, DHEA, melatonin and testosterone (yes, women produce a certain amount of this hormone), while in women, the additional hormones are estrogen and progesterone. These hormones control such things as our sexual drive, breakdown of fat and cholesterol, muscle mass, immunity regulation, metabolism and vitality among others.

The controversial component of this therapy originates from studies that indicate hormone replacement therapy contributes to the onset of cancer and cardiovascular problems. While this is true and fully supported by the scientific community, the findings pertain to synthetic formulations of hormones that approximate the molecular structure of the hormones that are produced by our bodies. Bio-identical hormones are pharmaceutically compounded hormones that are identical to those processed by our bodies. Because these hormones are identical to that which occurs naturally, they cannot be patented. Thus the drug industry does not fully acknowledge or promote the use of bio-identical hormones. They cannot profit from the production and sale of bio-identical drugs to the extent afforded by their proprietary formulations. Premarin is an example of one of these synthetic (Estrogen) hormones that is widely promoted in hormone replacement therapy. Studies indicate that long-term use of Premarin may increase the risk of strokes, heart attacks, blood clots, and breast cancer.

The effects of bio-identical HRT are supposed to manifest themselves sometime around the first month of therapy depending upon the individual. I’m only on my 5th day at the time of this blog entry. While I cannot fully report any noticeable differences, I can fully attest to the effectiveness of the melatonin. Over-the-counter melatonin had absolutely no impact on my ability to sleep. The melatonin I began taking on Friday is pharmaceutical grade, meaning it is produced to stricter standards with regards to dosages and quality control, plus it has been micronized to produce a steady, measured absorption by the body rather than a one-time burst. The onset of sleep is almost immediate as my head hits my pillow. I also notice I am dreaming more, which seems to indicate I am in a state of REM to a larger extent. When I do awaken, say to hit the bathroom, I fall asleep almost immediately upon my return to bed.

As for the testosterone, well, thus far it has been interesting. Testosterone is applied topically to the inner thighs. The instructions explicitly state that it should not be placed on the area of the inner thighs that touch the scrotum. (What would result from the interaction of the two coming in contact with one another, the instructions do not state. Could it be that the ensuing reaction is so horrifying, the pharmaceutical company did not dare mention the consequences?) Testosterone taken orally can impact the production of cholesterol and could potentially damage the liver.

While I cannot attest to this for certain, it FEELS like my “man-parts” are running hotter than the rest of my body. The temperature down there seems higher. Also there seems to be a tingling thing going on in those nether regions. (If you’re laughing now, well actually, so am I). More importantly (and to usher you hurriedly away from that last train of thought), today I felt a little “lighter,” less surly and pessimistic. There seem to exist “possibilities” once more: things can be done, actions can be taken, dragons can be slain. It’s totally feasible that all of these feelings originate simply from the bright, summer day and beautiful weather; so the jury is really still out. But, as music plays in the background, I notice myself swaying to the rhythm, a smile on my face. I’ll keep you posted. In a month, I’ll take another blood test to compare against the benchmark of the first blood test (sans HRT). Perhaps by then, I can report more definitively on how I’m feeling. And hopefully, in a "tasteful" and restrained way . . .

No comments: