Wednesday, February 4, 2009

a moment between strangers at a movie

Once in a while, there's a "bonding" moment you have with a total stranger. You know, a sort of random act of kindness or a moment or recognition that takes place between two strangers. This weekend, I went to see "The Wrestler" at the Broadway Theater, a local venue for art house movies. Over the many years of theater-going I've developed the habit of remaining seated until the last credit rolls. This is primarily a sort of homage to all of those involved in the making of the movie. Occasionally, I will actually see the names of people I know. For instance, I have frequently seen Bruce Fowler credited for scoring the music for some of the movies. Bruce used to be a part of the Unversity of Utah's music department. Also, Jim Gemmill, the guy who taught me calligraphy. seems to have fallen into Set, Art Design and Background Scenery for some pretty heavy hitters. He moved to London many, many years ago to become an artist, where evidently, he became involved in the movie industry. In "the DaVinci Code," for example, all of the famous paintings you saw in the background were actually paintings he replicated. He has also contributed to the "look" of some of the Harry Potter movies.

Another good reason to stay until the end of the credits is that some directors actually REWARD viewers who remain with a little extra scene or tidbit. Some of the specific movies elude me now, but "Ironman" is one that comes to mind. (Yes, I see a wide, wide range of movies.) There is a final scene that advances the plotline as a set-up for the next installment. "Cinema Paradisio" is another. There is a key reunion scene at the end of the movie that provides the big emotional pay-off you were hoping for.

But I digress.

As I mentioned, I went to see "The Wrestler." As usual, I remained until the end of the credits. My wife, Joni, and I were the only two people left in the theater. As I rose from my seat, I glanced at the projection booth, where I locked eyes with the projectionist. He smiled and motioned me to wait. He then gestured towards the screen with a tilt of his head. As I turned to look at the screen, the trailer for the new "Terminator" movie began to run! It was like a private screening. When it ended, I turned back to the projectionist, pointed at him and gave him a "thumb's up" sign to acknowledge his unexpected "gift." He simply laughed and waved.

2 comments:

Vicky Vengeance said...

Stay to the end of Coraline for sure!!!!

sgseko said...

We did stay through the end of Coraline! Thanks!