Thursday, November 19, 2009

absent photographer

It's been over a year since I've taken any photos, which is unusual for me. I used to get a little down if I neglected this creative outlet. It's probably a commentary on how many other distractions have diverted me from some of my normal passions these days.

Yesterday, I brought my camera to work on a whim. I've had an idea for a portrait shot I wanted to explore recently, and coincidentally, my co-worker, Kim Riley (also a photographer), asked when I was going to shoot photos of her again! I told her about my concept and we took about 15 minutes to do a set-up, and shoot off about a half-dozen images before my long-neglected camera's batteries died.

The nice thing about working with a photographer as your subject is that they are able to visualize your idea and can contribute to its realization on film. My idea entailed the use of a fan that was not as cooperative as I would have liked. The net of this long explanation is that while I was not able to achieve my "vision," it was very gratifying to look through the viewfinder of my trusty camera once more to at least attempt to do something creative. The images you see here are my favorites. Stay tuned. Hopefully, armed with a fresh set of batteries and two fans this time instead of one, I will be able capture that image that has been forming in my mind. When it happens, I'll post it here.

No comments: