Wednesday, November 11, 2009

where the wild things are

Recently, I had the opportunity to see Spike Jonze's, "Where the Wild Things Are." My initial reaction was that I liked the film although it did not conjure up the sentimental feelings I originally experienced when I read it to my daughter oh so many years ago. The film was a little dark, a little melancholy. I know there have been many mixed reviews, ranging all the way from approval to "don't take your kids to this one." Yesterday, I read a more recent review in the New York Times written by A.O. Scott. I think he brilliantly summed up the movie and it's commentary on life. He summarizes Max's journey to "Where the Wild Things Are," his disappointment, and subsequent return home thusly:

"No place is free of conflict and bad feeling, and no person has the power to make problems disappear. Where there is happiness - friendship, adventure, affection, security - there is also, inevitably disappointment. That's life."

No comments: