Friday, November 13, 2009

mexican coke revisited, pepsi throwback

A while ago I posted a blog about Mexican Coke, my favorite drink. This week in the New York Times Magazine (which is dedicated entirely to the subject of food), an article appeared entitled "Cult Classic" by Rob Walker. It reaffirms my position, however irrational, that there is nothing quite as pure and clean tasting as the Mexican variety of this iconic American drink. Walker writes that as per a Coke spokesman, while there are differences in the sweeteners used for regional Coke products depending upon economics and availability, there are no perceptible differences in taste. Walker suggests that the difference could be attributed to the sweetener used, but also adds that the glass bottle of Mexican Coke may play a part as well. Glass is the most inert material in which Coke is packaged versus the plastic bottles or aluminum cans that are the norm. Whatever the reason, Walker is a fellow devotee. He, too, is willing to spend that extra amount to have a Mexican Coke with his lunch rather than the less expensive, more commonplace U.S. variety.

As a nod to the success of Mexican Coke, Pepsi unveiled a limited run of Pepsi Throwback, their own version that incorporated pure cane sugar rather than the usual high fructose corn syrup. At that time, I immediately jumped on it, storing and hoarding a respectable number of Pepsi Throwback bottles in my basement. I am down to my last one. Although I prefer Coke (the products are not as "sweet" as Pepsi's), I felt that just like the Mexican Coke, Pepsi Throwback had an amazingly pure and clean taste. Pepsi Throwback it should be noted, is packaged in cans and plastic bottles, thus dispelling the idea that the glass bottle is solely attributable to the taste difference. Interestingly, as a concession to the hue and cry of Pepsi fans, Pepsi has announced the limited return engagement of Pepsi Throwback beginning December 18th. It will be available for 8 weeks. If you are an afficienado, I recommend you stock up.

And oh, a while ago, I also touched upon my obsession with blueberry soda. I had the opportunity to try Izze Soda's version. Don't bother.

2 comments:

Vicky Vengeance said...

Check this out Dad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPbh6Ru7VVM

How awesome would it be to go here some day? SO awesome.

sgseko said...

Very cool! I'm contemplating ordering something exotic from their website . . .