Wednesday, April 7, 2010

favorite image


I've been extensively experimenting (as much as is possible with only 16 available images) with the new PX100 film. The most surprising finding is that I can "pull" images out of overexposed frames. To the naked eye, the overexposed images appear very bleached out with little hope for anything salvagable. However, when I play with the levels control in Photoshop, an amazing amount of detail emerges as the light brown tonality shifts to sienna. On the negative side, pools of swirling rainbows (like oil drops on water) also emerge during the process. I'm sure this is attributable to the "petroleum-like" surface coating the film emulsion. Under normal conditions, the scanner does not reveal the refraction generated by the coating. It is only when the contrast is increased dramatically do these pools appear. The net of all of this is that I had to perform a fair amount of manipulation to eliminate these unslightly blemishes from the final image. As you can see from the image above however, it is well worth the effort. I consider this one of my best images thus far, even if it was a happy accident. My first order of film has now been depleted. Although I love the qualities of this film, the high cost makes me somewhat reticent to order my second shipment. How soon before I order the next batch will be entirely up to my virtually non-existent sense of self-discipline. It is after all about the pursuit of my art . . .

2 comments:

Sarah said...

It reminds me of a shot from the psycho killer video in the movie "The Ring." That movie scared me to death. The weird video was full of strange still shots that had the same quality as this one.

sgseko said...

Sarah, thanks for your honest feedback. It wasn't my intent to remind people of a psycho killer video, but I'll take it! At least it elicited SOME kind of an emotional response.