Friday, October 18, 2013

the end of the twinkie apocalypse



Did I chronicle my Twinkie-deprivation trials and tribulations to you? (Of course I did. Nothing brings me more pleasure than whining to a prospective group!) Once Twinkies were spirited back into the open market by an obviously benevolent power, production could not keep up with the demand. It was very difficult to purchase a box even after repeated visits to key locations (Walmart, UGH!, was a main distribution outlet!) at methodically timed intervals. I cannot list the number of times I stood brokenhearted at an empty Hostess display. This has prove to be quite a horrible and grueling time for me, even worse perhaps than the period where Twinkies no longer existed in this universe. At least I was relatively consigned to a CERTAIN hopelessness and despair. (I could tell you tales of my search for a reasonable substitute. In short, there are none even though cosmetically, some appeared close. In retrospect, some seemed close enough, but I think that conclusion was colored as the taste of the original faded through time.) I'm happy to report that now, after this near culinary apocalypse-like period, Twinkies are in abundance. I can rest easy that order has been restored to my universe. My Twinkie-deprived dread (picture images of withdrawal convulsions) of replacing the latest devoured box has now abated and no longer haunts my subconscious. It is as if a great weight has been lifted from my psyche. The birds chirp a little sweeter, the pickles taste a little crisper.

Live long and prosper.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the fact that you posted about Twinkies in February, and then took a six-month break, only to be re-animated by the re-appearance of Twinkies. There's nothing like deus ex machina solutions to our first-world problems to rouse us from our slumber. :)