Sunday, August 9, 2009

dark matter

I'm very interested in the concept of dark matter. I think it's fascinating that scientists "know" it is there even though it cannot be seen; its presence is "inferred" from the motions of astronomical objects, specifically stellar, galactic, and galaxy cluster/supercluster observations. Supposedly the universe is composed largely of dark matter.

I'm also drawn to the name itself: "dark matter." For me, our lives are intertwined with "dark matter" not altogether different from the one identified by astronomers and physicists. There are times when events in my life seem to have been influenced by an unseen, unobservable force, beyond the scope of my power to control or alter. As in the full spectrum of our experiences, these events have proven to be both uplifting and burdensome.

Dark matter.

I can only conclude that dark matter, destiny, chance, the power of a greater being or whatever we choose to call it, will continue to buffet me around, determining my trajectory or orbital path. How I behave and what attitude I adopt as dark matter continues to surround me though is my choice.

No comments: