Monday, August 10, 2009

I'll be heading for Portland, Maine shortly with family in tow (actually, I'm in tow - since it is in conjunction with a conference my wife will be attending). Happily, we will be meeting up with our daughter, Marissa, who will be joining us for a week of fun-filled adventure. I know this posting does not dwell on larger matters like the end of days brought on by the Large Hadron Collider or the Loch Ness Monster, but nonetheless, I cannot contain my excitement here. I fully intend to gorge myself on fresh lobster every day (which I have worked into our itinerary as we work our way up the coast). Fact: 90% of the lobster served in the U.S. comes from Maine. Can one ever have too much lobster? I will let you know.

Also, I am anticipating many wonderful meals. I have cross-referenced four travel guides (Fodor's, Frommer's, Mobil and Moon's) in selecting restaurants where I have made reservations. If the selected restaurants do not appear in at least three of the four travel guides, they have been discarded from consideration.

In addition to the lobster, let's not forget Maine's blueberries and other unique culinary delights. For instance, Moxie Soda is evidently an invention of Maine's, touted as the official soft drink of the state. It originated in 1876 and was developed by a doctor who claims it helped alleviate just about any malady. After more rigorous standards were implemented by the Food and Drug Administration however, it was downgraded from its medicinal status to a mere soft drink. It is said to have a unique taste that many prefer mixed with whiskey rather than as a standalone beverage.

And, there is a woman who makes her own special version of what she calls Wicked Whoopie Pies, which have been featured on Oprah and ABC's Good Morning America. One of her outlets is in Freeport, Maine, home of L.L. Bean and an entire community of factory outlet stores. You can count on a visit there and a subsequent review. If you are interested, Wicked Whoopie Pies can of course be sent anywhere from their website.

It may appear that I will be eating my way through the state of Maine, rather than sightseeing, but really, I will post some photographs just to let you know that there are other things to do there. More to follow.

No comments: