Sunday, October 4, 2009

blueberry soda

During our recent visit to Maine, I discovered a local culinary favorite, Moxie Soda. According to the travel guides, Moxie Soda, like Dr. Pepper and Coca-Cola originated as an elixir claimed to cure many ailments. Naturally, after the formation of the Food and Drug Administration, such claims were quickly abandoned. Moxie Soda, however, remains one of the oldest sodas on the market even though it has not moved beyond the region where it originated. Sadly, it had an odd taste (which may account for the reason it has not moved BEYOND the region where it originated). As a friend commented, it tastes like a poor imitation of root beer. Locals like to drink it mixed with their whiskey, although some say that they like it undiluted. Most admit it is an "acquired" taste. In any event, it is not for me. I will not be ordering Moxie Soda via the internet anytime soon.

I DID however, discover Blueberry Soda during my travels in Maine. This was a delightful surprise. Initially I was skeptical, but found the taste of blueberries, blended with carbonation, to be the perfect balance of flavor, sweetness and "texture" (not to mention its beautiful color). Today, I decided to order a shipment of Blueberry Soda via the internet, but during my search, stumbled upon a recipe! I share it here with you, but advise you to wait until I have had time to test it before your proceed. I have high hopes however and will let you know how it tastes shortly. I figure worst case I can always order the manufactured stuff. Following is the recipe attributed to Alton Brown:

Ingredients

  • 20 ounces fresh blueberries, approximately 4 cups, rinsed and drained
  • 2 cups water
  • 7 ounces sugar
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • Carbonated water

Directions

Place the blueberries and the water into a medium saucepan, set over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and pour the mixture into a colander lined with cheesecloth that is set in a large bowl. Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Gather up the edges of the cheesecloth and squeeze out as much of the liquid as possible. Discard the skin and pulp. Return the blueberry juice to the saucepan along with the sugar and lime juice. Place over medium high heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer to a heatproof glass container and place in the refrigerator, uncovered, until completely cooled.

To Serve: Combine 1/4 cup of the liquid with 8-ounces of carbonated water and serve over ice.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

My dad just bought my husband and I a water carbonation thing, where you can make your own soda... I'll definitely have to try this syrup recipe! You asked on my blog what CSA I use... I go through East Farms in Layton. So does my mom.

sgseko said...

Since posting this, I have already made two batches of the Blueberry syrup. It's really very good although not quite what I was expecting. The soda I tasted in Maine had a cleaner palate to it and was not quite so sweet. I did increase the recommended 1/4 cup syrup to 8 oz. of carbonated water to a 50/50 level as I did not feel it was strong enough. I'm thinking now maybe a 1/3 mixture might be better and next time, I may cut back a little on the sugar.