Monday, August 11, 2008

gambling and sexual urges . . .

At a recent physical, I told my doctor about my Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS), a condition that causes my legs to feel as if tiny electrical impulses were running through them, resulting in outbreaks of dance-like jigs as I settle into bed for the night. Interestingly, a possible side-effect of the medication she prescribed, is an increased propensity to gamble or have sexual urges. WHAAAT?!?! How can a drug designed to quell involuntary jerks of your legs at night possibly affect such behavior? It is almost as far-fetched as a warning: "possible side-effects may include the desire to wear plaid."

In any event, my night-time jigs in bed have been eliminated and to my knowledge, I have suffered none of the potential side-effects. AND, I'll lay you 10-to-1 odds, I never will . . .

No comments: